|What should I do if my thread keeps breaking while I am sewing?|
|Breaking thread can be caused by many things. Here are a few items to check:
- Check the thread spool to ensure the thread is not wound around the spindle or catching on the thread cap.
- Rethread the machine to ensure the thread is not caught.
- Make sure you are using the proper needle/thread weight combination. See your machine manual for a list of needles and their usage.
|How do I keep from getting a "nest" of thread underneath the fabric when I start sewing?|
- Hold on to both the spool and bobbin thread while taking the first few stitches.
- When chaining pieces, stat with a small scrap at the beginning of the chain.
|How do you thread a double needle?|
- Place the double needle into the needle slot with the flat edge to the back.
- Thread the first spool as you would normally, threading the right needle.
- Place the second spool on the extra spool spindle.
- Take the second thread through the associated thread guide, and through the tension section as usual.
- Skip the thread guide at the bottom of the tension section, and take the it through the thread guide by the nnedle. Thread it through the left needle.
- Pull the bobbin thread up, and stitch a test run.
|What are the standard sizes for a bed quilt?|
With a Dust Ruffle:
- Crib 27" x 52"
- Twin 39" x 75"
- Full 54" x 75"
- Queen 60" x 80"
- King 76" x 80"
- Crib 30" x45"
- Twin 65" x 95"
- Full 80" x 95"
- Queen 86" x 100"
- King 106 x 106"
|How can I protect buttons when I send an item to the cleaners?|
- Cut a piece of Velcro larger than the button.
- Cut a slit in the hook side of the Velcro and slide the button through with the hook side up.
- Cover the button with the soft side of the Vecro and attach to the hook side.
|How do I clean my OLFA Rotary mat?|
|To clean your OLFA mat, use a generous amount of room temperature water and a few drops of mild detergent. Use a soft, mild bristle brush to create a lather, and gently clean the mat. Rinse with room temperature water and wipe dry with a cotton towel. |
Please note that warm or hot water, and direct sunlight may damage the mat.
|Do Frixion marking pens work?|
|Jenny K. Lyons (quiltskipper.com/blog; August 13, 2015):|
- Frixion pens combine gel ink and thermo ink. You are marking your quilt with a gel pen that disappears.
- The marks will reappears if the quilt gets cold (anything below freezing) unless the mark is completely removed with an ink remover. Even after a thorough steam of the marks, they will reappear in the cold. This is part of the inherent chemistry of the ink combination.
- To completely remove the ink so tat it will not ghost or reappear in the cold, you will need an ink remover and also may possibly need to scrub the area. The manufacturer has tested. Motsenbocker's LIFT-Off 3 AND Amodex, and found them to be fairly effective in removing the ink.
- Frixion pens sometimes leave a ghost mark after steaming. This is the thermo ink showing on the quilt, not the gel. To rid the piece of ghost marks, you need to treat them with the ink removers listed above.
|How do the new #72 quilting rulers work with the BERNINA sewing machines?|
|See the following tutorial at the BERNINA website:|